- About the Center
- Storm Risk
Land Use Planning
- Coastal Barrier Resources System
This law encourages the conservation of hurricane prone, biologically rich coastal barriers by restricting Federal expenditures that encourage development, such as Federal flood insurance.
- Endangered Species Act
While this law was created to protect and recover endangered wildlife, it sometimes limits development in hurricane-prone areas.
- Coastal Smart Growth (NOAA)
This National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Web site is a resource for communities seeking to capitalize on their location without compromising safety and growth opportunities. Resources, planning tools, and case studies included.
- Climate Change and Sea Level Rise in Florida (Florida Oceans and Coastal Council)
- Final Report - Governor's Coastal High Hazard Study Committee
In response to the devastating 2004 and 2005 hurricane seasons, Gov. Jeb Bush created the Coastal High Hazard Study Committee to study and formulate recommendations for managing growth in Coastal High Hazard Areas.
- Growth Management Requirements for Coastal Development
(Florida Department of Community Affairs presentation to the 2008 Citizens Property Insurance Corporation Mission Review Task Force. There is a slide presentation after the first five pages of text.)
Related Articles, Presentations and Reports
- Florida 2060: A Population Distribution Scenario for the State of Florida (1000 Friends of Florida)
- Florida's Coastal and Ocean Future (Sea Turtle Conservancy)
- Global Coastlines Under Threat (Lloyd's)
- Higher Ground: The Battle to Save Florida's Beaches (Short film produced by Sea Turtle Conservancy and CAVU)